November 01. - March 31.
Embrace the Arctic and try out the oldest means of transportation in the North! Let the reindeer take you out in nature on authentic Sámi sleds as you get a taste of life above the Polar circle.
The tour starts in Tromsø, where our guide will meet you outside Radisson Blu Hotel. They will be wearing a blue Luhkka (poncho), so they are easily spotted! From here the journey goes to Breivikeidet, on a 45-minute scenic ride through fjords and forests.
Upon arrival your Sámi guide will be waiting, ready to tell you more about the experience you will have with the reindeer and culture. You can change into some warmer clothing and shoes, and then you're ready to go sledding through the snow! You will get an introduction to safe sledding and after a little photoshoot on the sleds, you're off. Surrounding you is beautiful, untouched nature of Breivikeidet – and in the distance, the magnificent Lyngen Alps.
The sled-ride ends back at the camp, followed by feeding time for the herd. Another quick introduction is given before you head into the reindeer enclosure to get up close and personal with the herd of 300 reindeer. They are curious and friendly, some of them will even eat from your hand! There will be time to take pictures and ask any questions you might have about life in the North.
By now you're also ready for lunch, and you head into the heated Gamme for a warm drink and lunch. You'll get to taste Bithos, a traditional Sámi dish which is served for special occasions. After lunch, your Sámi guide is excited to tell you more about Sámi culture, as well as show you some clothing and artifacts. Your guide will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about reindeer, Sami people and the culture.
* If conditions change, we keep the right to amend the duration of the reindeer sledding.
* All animals used for these services are trained for the activity, however, the behavior of animals can be unpredictable and therefore it is essential that all participants follow all given instructions for their safety, and the safety of others.
* The sledding takes place as a "raid" where each reindeer and sled are bound together in a long row with the lead reindeer in the front.
* Sleds are shared, two participants on one sled.
* Alternative: The Reindeer Sledding is subject to snow and if weather conditions don't allow us to run the sled-ride we will offer you a partial refund.
Pick-up time and place:
Meeting time and place: 09:45 (9.45am) Radisson Blu Hotel
Departure time and place: 10:00 (10am) Radisson Blu Hotel
What is included:
What to bring:
Level of difficulty: Easy outdoors / Family
Number of participants: 4-48
Adult (18+ yrs) NOK 1695,-
Youth (13-17 yrs) NOK 1550,-
Child (4-12 yrs) NOK 850,-
Infant (0-3 yrs) 0,-
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form :(